2020-06-03 13:52 KST  
Global Voices Online - The world is talking. Are you listening?
AFL Review Round 16
Richmond and North Melbourne play thrilling drawn game
Michael Clough (clough)     Print Article 
Published 2009-07-21 11:43 (KST)   
Richmond and North Melbourne played out the first draw of the Australian Football League season over the weekend. Round 16 also saw the winning runs of Adelaide and Collingwood come to an end and after a loss to Carlton, Sydney's final hopes have taken a near fatal hit.

Western Bulldogs 15.13.103 defeated Essendon Bombers 11.4.70

OMNI's New Approach to Citizen Journalism
[Opinion] Democracy's Downfall
Technology Can Save Money, Planet
[Opinion] Iran Defends Peaceful 'Right'
Couchsurfing in Gaza
Brazil Crushes Argentina, Prepares For Chile
Brazil Wins 100th Formula 1 Victory
AFL Review Round 17
AFL Review Round 16
Tokyo' Bid for the 2016 Summer Games
The Western Bulldogs have won their 11th game for the season but were forced to work hard for it. The Bulldogs overpowered a dogged Essendon by 23 points in Friday night's game at Etihad Stadium in Melbourne.

Despite the loss, the Bombers held onto their spot in the top eight due their superior percentage compared to Port Adelaide and Hawthorn who sit in ninth and tenth position respectively.

Mitch Hahn was the game breaker for the Bulldogs with five goals, four of those in the second half.

Essendon made a bright start to the contest with the opening two goals of the game but the Bulldogs responded with two of the their own. A late goal to Josh Hill gave the Bulldogs a four point lead at the first change.

Essendon made the first significant break of the game with the first three goals of the second quarter to move 15 points clear and they were looking the better of the two sides. Hahn with his first goal of game kept the Bulldogs in touch at half time with the difference eight points in Essendon's favour.

The Bulldogs hit the lead midway through the third on the back of consecutive goals to Wil Minson and Hahn. Sam Lonergan leveled the scores in the 16th minute but with the Bulldogs starting to take control in the middle they started to move clear of Essendon with two goals to Hahn and another to Shaun Higgins which gave the Bulldogs a 19 point lead at the final change.

A Matthew Lloyd goal a minute after the restart of play in the fourth gave the Bombers some hope but that was quickly dashed by the Bulldogs who secured victory with the next three goals, two of which came off the boot of Scott Welsh.

Carlton Blues 19.10.124 defeated Sydney Swans 9.9.63

Sydney's finals aspirations are now all but over after the Swans could not stop a dominant final quarter Carlton blitz with the Blues prevailing by 61 points at Etihad Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Carlton's win snapped a 12 game losing streak against Sydney with the Blues last win over the Swans coming in 2000.

In another blow to the Swans, defender Ted Richards will miss the rest of the season after suffering broken ribs and a punctured lung in a heavy collision with Carlton's Brendan Fevola in a marking contest.

Carlton made a solid start to the game with three of the first four goals of the game to race to an early 14 point lead. Jesse White did his best to keep the Swans in the hunt with two goals of his own to cut the margin down to three points at quarter time.

Matthew Kreuzer gave Carlton the opening goal of the second term but it was the Swans who had the better of the quarter. The Swans scored the remaining three goals before half time to hold a deserved nine point lead at the main change.

Luke Ablett extended the Swans lead to 15 points early in the third quarter but the Blues were starting to lift and grabbed the lead with the next three goals of the game, including three to Brad Fisher. Just as the game looked like it might be getting out of the Swans reach, the visitors responded with two late goals to White and Ryan O'Keefe to cut the Blues to nine points at the last change.

The Blues signaled their intent with goals to Bryce Gibbs and Andrew Carrazzo in the opening two minutes in the final quarter, a quarter that belonged to the Blues. Carlton finished the game in style, kicking nine goals while keeping the Swans goalless with record a comfortable victory.

Geelong Cats 17.15.117 defeated Melbourne Demons 11.5.71

Geelong has snapped their two game losing streak after cruising to a 46 point win over Melbourne at Skilled Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

The game as a contest was all but over by quarter time, with the second placed Cats taking their foot off the accelerator in the final three quarters.

Coming into the game on the back of two impressive wins, the lowly Demons would've gone into the game hoping to give the game a good shake but this was not to be the case.

Geelong were at their brutal best in the opening term, slamming home seven goals while keeping the hapless Demons to only two behind. Geelong shared the goals around with the Cats' seven goals coming from six different goal kickers.

Trailing by 44 points at quarter time, Melbourne hit back with the first three goals of the second quarter to give the Demons a faint hope of launching a revival. Again this was quickly put to bed with goals to Gary Ablett and Andrew Mackie to make the difference 43 points at the main change.

To Melbourne's credit that did fight out the second half well, with both sides managing eight goals in the final two quarters of play.

Hawthorn Hawks 18.13.121 defeated Collingwood Magpies 11.10.76

Just as they were being written off, reigning premier Hawthorn showed the football world that they are still a force to be reckoned with after a bruising 45 point win on Saturday night at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

Collingwood's loss brings to an end their seven game winning streak.

The game was a tightly fought affair for the opening quarter and a half of the game with the Hawks holding a 13 point lead midway through the second quarter. Collingwood would finish the first half strongly and kicked the last four goals before half time, including two to Tarkyn Lockyer to hold a handy 11 point lead at the main change.

The second half would belong to the Hawks. The brand of "unsociable football" that steered them to a premiership last year was back and it was unsettling the Magpies who had no answers to the Hawks.

Hawthorn grabbed the game by the scruff in the third term, kicking seven goals to nil for the quarter to turn their half time deficit to a 32 point lead at three quarter time.

Hawthorn continued their blitz early in the final quarter with goals to Lance Franklin and Jarryd Roughead in the first five minutes. John Anthony ended the Magpies drought in the 10th minute of the fourth quarter but by this stage all Collingwood were doing was trying to limit the damage with Hawthorn still outscoring the Magpies six goals to four for the quarter.

Brisbane Lions 9.8.62 defeated Fremantle Dockers 7.5.47

Brisbane was again knocking on the door for a spot in the top four of the AFL ladder, overpowering Fremantle in the second half to record a 15 point win in a closely fought encounter at Subiaco on Saturday night.

Brisbane recorded their 10th win of the season despite injuries to key players Daniel Bradshaw (hamstring) Jared Brennan (ankle).

It only took the Dockers one quarter to top their one goal effort from last week, two goals in the opening term enough to give the home side the lead at the opening change.

Adam Campbell kicked the Dockers third four minutes into the second quarter to give his side a 14 point lead. It would be another 19-minutes before the next goal was scored to the Lions Mitch Clark and this opened up the scoring before half time siren with a goal to Fremantle's Nick Suban and Brisbane's Jonathon Brown to make the difference seven points in the Dockers favour at half time.

Goals to Brown and Justin Sherman to start the third quarter gave Brisbane the lead, a lead that they would not surrender. The Lions outscored Fremantle four goals to two in the third term to help setup what would be a decisive eight point lead at the final change.

The loss of Chris Tarrant to injury for the last quarter was a major blow for the Dockers, with the understrength Fremantle defense struggling to contain the Lions forwards in key marking contests. Goals to Bradd Dalziell and Brown in the middle stages of the final term ended the Dockers hopes of snaring a much needed win.

Port Adelaide Power 17.10.112 defeated West Coast Eagles 11.10.76

Port Adelaide kept themselves in the hunt for a top eight finish with an easy 36 point win over West Coast at AAMI Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

The Power had the premiership point all sewn up by half time after a dominant display that saw them take a 47 point lead to the main break.

West Coast scored the first goal of the game from Matthew McGinnity but from there, the opening term belonged to Port Adelaide. The home side kicked six goals to quarter time to take an early stranglehold of the game to lead by 34 points at the first change.

Brett Ebert extended the Power's lead to 40 points shortly after quarter time but West Coast hit back with two goals of their own to Mark LeCras and Ashley Hansen. This would prove to be only a momentary setback for the Power who continued to surge ahead as they added another three goals before half time.

Port Adelaide extended their lead to 60 points after kicking three of the first four goals of the third quarter but the Eagles were starting to become more competitive with both sides adding two goals apiece for the remainder of the quarter.

Desperate in need of big win to boost their low percentage, the Power let themselves down badly in the final quarter with the Eagles adding some respectability to the scoreboard by outscoring the home side five goals to two in the final quarter.

Richmond Tigers 12.13.85 drew with North Melbourne Kangaroos 12.13.85

Richmond and North Melbourne have played out the first drawn game of the season at the Melbourne Cricket Ground on Sunday afternoon in a game that in many ways will leave a sour taste in the mouth for both sides.

Richmond looked home at half time after holding a 42 point yet struggled to deal with a rampaging Kangaroos in the second half who fell agonizingly short of pulling off one of the most remarkable come-from-behind in the club's history.

The Kangaroos drew first blood with Lachie Hansen kicking the first goal of the game in the fourth minute and Richmond wasted little time stamping their authority on the contest with four goals in the space of five minutes which gave the Tigers a 20 point lead at the first change.

Richmond was playing some of its best football of the year and continued their domination into the second. Richmond held a 23 point lead late in the second quarter before a three goal burst shortly before half time gave the Tigers what should have been a match-winning lead at the main change.

A Leigh Harding goal in the first minute of the third term kept the Kangaroos in the hunt but that was answered by the Tigers through Shane Edwards in the ninth minute. North Melbourne were starting to lift and was making it count on the scoreboard. Harding's second triggered a run of four Kangaroos goals before three quarter time which helped cut the margin down to 16 points with a quarter to play.

Richmond's game had gone to water and two goals to captain Brent Harvey drew North Melbourne to within two points 12 minutes into the final term and the Kangaroos grabbed the lead for the first time since early in the first quarter when David Hale kicked a goal in the 23rd minute. The oft-maligned Richard Tambling had the chance to give the Tigers back the lead shortly after but his set shot shaved the post.

Harding put North Melbourne back in front after 27 minutes but the contest still had one more twist with Mitch Morton leveling the scores with neither side able to add to their score in the final seconds of the game.

St. Kilda Saints 15.15.105 defeated Adelaide Crows 7.6.48

The barnstorming Saints claimed another scalp after ending Adelaide's seven match winning streak with a 57 point thrashing of the Crows in the final game of the round 16 at Etihad Stadium.

The much anticipated clash between two of the competition's in-form sides failed to live up to its match of the round billing with St. Kilda dominating after a even first quarter.

Adelaide took less than 30 seconds to kick the first goal of the game from Chris Knights but the Saints hit back with two of their own to Nick Riewoldt and Justin Koschitzke. Little separated the two sides on the scoreboard in the first quarter with both kicking four goals each and the Saints holding a two point lead at quarter time.

St. Kilda's pressure would prove to be too much for the Crows in the middle of two quarters with the home side running away with the game. Adelaide could only manage the one goal, from Patrick Dangerfield in the second quarter and none in the third, while in same period St. Kilda added nine goals to their tally.

St. Kilda's midfield dominance was such that in the second quarter Adelaide could enter their forward zone four times and given the quality of the opposition it was one of the more imposing displays from the Saints this year.

With a 57 point lead and the game safely in their keeping at three quarter time, St Kilda could afford to take their foot off the accelerator in the final term with both sides kicking two goals each for the quarter.
©2009 OhmyNews
Other articles by reporter Michael Clough

  Linked Story - AFL Review Round 15...
  Linked Story - AFL Review Round 17...

Add to :  Add to Del.icio.usDel.icio.us |  Add to Digg this Digg  |  Add to reddit reddit |  Add to Y! MyWeb Y! MyWeb

Ronda Hauben
Netizens Question Cause of Cheonan Tragedy
Michael Werbowski
[Opinion] Democracy's Downfall
Michael Solis
Arizona's Immigration Bill and Korea
Yehonathan Tommer
Assassination in Dubai
[ESL/EFL Podcast] Saying No
Seventeenth in a series of English language lessons from Jennifer Lebedev...
  [ESL/EFL] Talking About Change
  [ESL/ EFL Podcast] Personal Finances
  [ESL/EFL] Buying and Selling
How worried are you about the H1N1 influenza virus?
  Very worried
  Somewhat worried
  Not yet
  Not at all
    * Vote to see the result.   
  copyright 1999 - 2020 ohmynews all rights reserved. internews@ohmynews.com Tel:+82-2-733-5505,5595(ext.125) Fax:+82-2-733-5011,5077