2018-10-20 08:30 KST  
Global Voices Online - The world is talking. Are you listening?
AFL Review Round 12
Hawthorn's title defence left in tatters after loss to Brisbane
Michael Clough (clough)     Print Article 
Published 2009-06-16 13:35 (KST)   
This weekend was the first half of the Australian Football League's split round with five games played with six clubs enjoying a mid-season break. The ten sides that did hit the paddock will get to enjoy a hard earned rest next week with the remaining three games of Round 12 taking place this upcoming Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

St. Kilda Saints 16.8.104 defeated Carlton Blues 14.11.95

OMNI's New Approach to Citizen Journalism
[Opinion] Democracy's Downfall
Technology Can Save Money, Planet
[Opinion] Iran Defends Peaceful 'Right'
Couchsurfing in Gaza
Brazil Crushes Argentina, Prepares For Chile
Brazil Wins 100th Formula 1 Victory
AFL Review Round 17
AFL Review Round 16
Tokyo' Bid for the 2016 Summer Games
ilda's record winning run now stretches to 12 but the Saints were given a massive fright after Carlton push them right to the wire with St. Kilda recording a nine point win in Friday night's game at Etihad Stadium.

The Blues recovered from a slow start to go toe-to-toe with the rampaging St. Kilda but the Saints had more polish at end to record a thrilling victory.

Nick Riewoldt was again a key contributor for the Saints with five goals while his opposing captain battle through a broken nose that would not stop bleeding to end the game with 20 possessions.

The Saints made a brilliant start to the contest, putting the Blues on the backfoot with the first five goals of the game in a nine minute burst. The Saints were brutal in their on their opponents and the ball and a big win was on the cards at quarter time with St. Kilda leading by 24 points.

St. Kilda looked comfortable for the first ten minutes of the second quarter but just as the Saints had done the Blues lifted to peel off series of goals, a run of five unanswered goals saw Carlton surprisingly in contention at half time with the Saints holding a narrow three point lead.

St. Kilda again regained the ascendancy early in third term, four goals including two to Riewoldt put Saints 26 points up but the Blues continued to persist and with the final two goals of the quarter to Jordan Bannister and Brendan Fevola trailed by only 13 points at the final change.

The fourth quarter started as a tense arm wrestle with Nick Del Santo getting the first goal of the term to Saints after 12 minutes. Carlton though kept coming and close to gap to four points with goals to Eddie Betts and Fevola but St. Kilda kept their buffer thanks to a Leigh Montagna goal in the 23rd minute.

In keeping with the tight feel of the final term, Setanta O'hAilpin made the difference less than a kick again shortly after but the winner for the Saints came from the unlikely source of Zac Dawson, the defender finding space on his own to mark and kick the sealer.

Western Bulldogs 21.11.137 defeated Port Adelaide Power 7.2.44
The Bulldogs have further cemented their hold on third spot on the AFL ladder after trouncing a shamefully poor Port Adelaide by 93 points in their Saturday night encounter at Marrara Oval in Darwin.

The Bulldogs had winners all over the ground with their midfielders particularly damaging with Daniel Cross their leading possession winner with 37, Callan Ward with 33 possessions and Ryan Hargrave outstanding with his 29 possessions and ten marks.

The Bulldogs made a solid start to the game with the first two goals to Brad Johnson and Will Minson. Daniel Motlop pegged one back for the Power but after further goals to Lindsay Gilbee and Ryan Griffen saw the Bulldog lead by 19 points at quarter time.

Port Adelaide were caught napping after quarter time with the Bulldogs kicking two goals in as many minutes at the start of the second quarter with the Power making few inroads in the second term, the gap between the two sides extended out to 28 points at half time.

While Port Adelaide were were ordinary in the first half they were abysmal in the second half. The Bulldogs reeled off the first four goals of the third quarter to put the result beyond doubt. The Bulldogs kicked five goals to one in the third quarter to extend their lead 55 points at the final change but things only got worse in the fourth quarter as the Bulldogs started to rub salt in the Power's wound kicking eight goals in the final term while Port Adelaide could only add a further two.

Richmond Tigers 13.14.92 defeated West Coast Eagles 11.11.77
Jade Rawlings tenure as Richmond's caretaker coach has started on a high note with the Tigers notching up their third win for the season after disposing of West Coast by 15 points at Etihad Stadium on Saturday night.

Not only was the match Rawlings first as an AFL coach, it was also the first for Ben Cousins against the Eagles, a club were he won a premiership, a Brownlow Medal and captained after leaving the club at the end of 2007 to seek treatment for substance abuse.

To continue the theme of first, the match also marked the debut of much hyped debut of Nic Naitanui for West Coast, the high leaping ruckman making a modest debut with 11 possessions.

While there was plenty of excitement surrounding the game, the game as a spectacle struggled to reach any great heights. The first quarter belong to Richmond, the Tigers having 11 scoring shots while Eagles barely got into first gear with two goals from their only two shots of the quarter.

After trailing by 24 points at quarter time the Eagles improved in the second term. With Josh Kennedy providing them with a forward target with Eagles outscoring the Tigers four goals to three with Kennedy kicking three of the Eagles goals.

Richmond managed to keep the Eagles at arms length in the third quarter but couldn't bury the Eagles due to inaccuracy in front of goal and at the final change only 11 points separated the two sides.

Mitch Morton gave the Tigers the perfect start to the final term with two early goals and that dashed the Eagles' hopes of victory.

Brisbane Lions 13.15.93 defeated Hawthorn Hawks 7.9.51
Hawthorn's title defence is now in tatters after the Hawks put in one of their displays of the past two seasons to suffer a 42 point loss to Brisbane in Sunday's match at Aurora Stadium in Launceston, Tasmania.

After a dour first half, the Lions inspired by their captain Jonathon Brown kicked away in the second half.

Brown scored five goals for the victors with four of those goals coming in the second half as the Lions punished the sloppy Hawks mistakes.

Kicking against the breeze in the first quarter Brisbane made a positive start with two of the first three goals of the game making the most of their advantage in general play. Hawthorn took the lead though at quarter time thank to two late goals to Mark Williams.

Hawthorn extended their lead further in the second quarter with goals to Williams and Lance Franklin. Conditions were not favorable to attractive football and the Lions could only manage the one goal for the quarter, off the boot of Brown.

The Hawks lead by 14 points at half time but Brisbane lifted to play the better football in the third. Michael Rischitelli cut the margin to seven points with the first goal of the third quarter for the Lions, only for Stewart Dew to kick a quick reply for the Hawks. That though would the last that Hawthorn would manage as Brisbane took complete control of the contest.

The Lions added a further three goals to take a seven point lead at three quarter time and lifted their game to another level in the final quarter as they piled on six goals for the quarter while restricting the Hawks to two behinds.

Adelaide Crows 9.14.68 defeated North Melbourne Kangaroos 3.6.24
Adelaide has won it's fourth game on the trot with the Crows posting a commanding 44 point win over North Melbourne in Sunday's match AAMI Stadium.

With former captain Adam Simpson playing his 300th AFL game the Kangaroos failed to fire a shot in the wet conditions, only managing three goals for the game. Simpson for his part was one of the Kangaroos better players, finishing the game with 19 possessions.

North Melbourne were held scoreless in the opening quarter with Adelaide making more of their limited chance to hold a 16 point lead at quarter time. The Kangaroos were managing to get the ball into their forward 50-metres early but a lack of cohesion and a lack of targets meant that they could not get the shots on goal.

Adelaide on the other hand put two goals on the board to Tyson Edwards and Chris Knights before the rain started to fall, giving them the all-important edge.

North Melbourne finally broke their drought in the first minute of the second quarter thanks to a Corey Jones goal with the only other goal of the quarter coming from the Crows Jason Porplyzia in the 25th minute.

Porplyzia kicked both of Adelaide's goals in the third quarter as scoring continued to be a battle and again the Kangaroos could only manage the single goal with the difference 22 points in the Crows favour at the final change.

The Kangaroos challenge ran out of puff in the final term as the home side started to find scoring easier. North Melbourne got the first goal of the quarter through Lindsay Thomas but from there it was all Adelaide who kicked the final four goals of the game.
©2009 OhmyNews
Other articles by reporter Michael Clough

  Linked Story - AFL Review Round 11...
  Linked Story - AFL Review Round 12 - Part II...

Add to :  Add to Del.icio.usDel.icio.us |  Add to Digg this Digg  |  Add to reddit reddit |  Add to Y! MyWeb Y! MyWeb

Ronda Hauben
Netizens Question Cause of Cheonan Tragedy
Michael Werbowski
[Opinion] Democracy's Downfall
Michael Solis
Arizona's Immigration Bill and Korea
Yehonathan Tommer
Assassination in Dubai
[ESL/EFL Podcast] Saying No
Seventeenth in a series of English language lessons from Jennifer Lebedev...
  [ESL/EFL] Talking About Change
  [ESL/ EFL Podcast] Personal Finances
  [ESL/EFL] Buying and Selling
How worried are you about the H1N1 influenza virus?
  Very worried
  Somewhat worried
  Not yet
  Not at all
    * Vote to see the result.   
  copyright 1999 - 2018 ohmynews all rights reserved. internews@ohmynews.com Tel:+82-2-733-5505,5595(ext.125) Fax:+82-2-733-5011,5077