2018-10-20 09:48 KST  
Global Voices Online - The world is talking. Are you listening?
AFL Review Round 13
Hawthorn's premiership defence runs into trouble
Michael Clough (clough)     Print Article 
Published 2009-06-30 11:47 (KST)   
It was back to business as usual in the Australian Football League with a full round of matches after two weeks of the split round. The big losers of the weekend were Barry Hall who found himself in hot water again and reigning premier Hawthorn which had a shock loss to West Coast.

Essendon Bombers 21.10.136 defeated Carlton Blues 9.13.67

OMNI's New Approach to Citizen Journalism
[Opinion] Democracy's Downfall
Technology Can Save Money, Planet
[Opinion] Iran Defends Peaceful 'Right'
Couchsurfing in Gaza
Brazil Crushes Argentina, Prepares For Chile
Brazil Wins 100th Formula 1 Victory
AFL Review Round 17
AFL Review Round 16
Tokyo' Bid for the 2016 Summer Games
Essendon shored up their position on the top eight with the Bombers crushing arch rival Carlton by 69 points in front of over 83,000 at the Melbourne Cricket Ground on Friday night.

After a tight first half the Bombers kicked away in a dominate second half with Carlton coach Brett Ratten conceding that his side embarrassed themselves in the final two quarters.

Essendon held a slender one point lead at the end of the first quarter with Andrew Lovett quickly extending the Bombers lead with the first goal of the second. Setanta O'hAilpin quickly responded for the Blues but Essendon quickly regained their seven point lead thanks to an Angus Monfries.

Carlton made the first major move of the game as they kicked the next three goals of the game to move 14 points clear. Just as they looked like things were getting out of hand for the Bombers responded in style and finished the first half stronger to kick four of the next five goals to lead by four points at the main change.

The second belonged totally to Essendon. Early goals to Monfries and Hayden Skipworth put Carlton on the back-foot and after a further three goals they had the Blues on the ropes. Essendon kicked eight unanswered goals, the combo finally broken by Eddie Betts who scored Carlton's only goal for the third term.

Essendon led by 36 points at the final change but were in no mood to spare the Blues, rubbing salt into their opponents' wound with final quarter seven goals to one blitz.

Collingwood Magpies 26.13.169 defeated Fremantle Dockers 13.7.85

Collingwood won their fifth game in the trot and sit in fourth place on the AFL ladder after outclassing Fremantle, the Magpies defeating the Dockers by 85 points in Saturday afternoon's clash at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

Collingwood laid the foundation of their victory in the first quarter before wiping Fremantle off the floor with 10 goals in the last quarter.

Alan Didak career best purple patch continued with the favorite of the Magpie faithful collecting a career high 39 possessions.

Collingwood got the early jump on their opponents with three quick goals to Didak, Leigh Brown and John Anthony. Further goals to Travis Cloke and Dayne Beams saw the home side 30 points after only 15-minutes before Matthew Pavlich finally kicked the Dockers first in the 17th minute.

The Magpies led by 25 points at quarter time but Fremantle managed to stem the bleeding in the second quarter while not making any major inroads into the deficit at the same time. Collingwood pushed their lead out to 34 points late in the term but the Dockers managed to reduce that to 21 points at half time after goals to Aaron Sandilands and Andrew Foster.

The difference between the two sides remained similar for most of the third term before the Magpies broke away again from the Dockers with a three goal run late in the term to lead by 34 points at the final change.

The last quarter would belong to the Magpies as the Dockers meekly put up the white flag. After Brett Peake kicked the first goal of quarter for Fremantle the Magpies put the result beyond any shadow of a doubt with a seven straight goals, the home side capping off the win in style with 10 goals in the final quarter while the Dockers could only add two.

Adelaide Crows 12.13.85 defeated Sydney Swans 10.9.69

The AFL career of fiery Sydney full forward Barry Hall hangs in the balance after another errant fist saw the Swans 2005 premiership captain reported in his side's 16 point loss to Adelaide at AAMI Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Hall faces two weeks on the sidelines if he accepts an early guilty plea after a cheap shot to the jaw of the Crows Ben Rutten but it appears that the Swans' tolerance of Hall's short temper is starting to wear thin with no guarantees that Hall be again pull on a Swans jumper.

Hall's antics stole the headlines from a fighting victory from the Crows who had to comeback from a 25 point deficit to overrun the Swans in the second half to post their eighth win of the year.

The first quarter was a low scoring affair with only three goals scored with two of the those going Sydney's way which gave the visitors a five point lead at the opening change.

Sydney booted clear early in the second quarter with three straight goals to push their advantage to 23 points. The Swans led by 25 points late in the term but the visitors lead was cut to 19 points at half time due to a late Jason Porplyzia goal.

Brett Kirk gave Sydney back their 25 point lead with the opening goal of the third quarter but after that the Crows made their big move. Adelaide kicked the next five goals to grab the lead midway through the quarter. Ryan Brabazon ended the Swans drought in the 20th to cut Crows lead to a point but Adelaide would go to the final change seven points up thanks to a late Andrew McLeod goal.

Hall kept the Swans in the hunt with his fourth goal but the Crows kicked clear and kicked the next three goals to put the game out of Sydney's reach.

West Coast Eagles 16.11.107 defeated Hawthorn Hawks 13.9.87

West Coast inflicted another blow to Hawthorn's premiership defense with the Eagles causing the upset of the round with a 20 point win at Subiaco on Saturday night.

Eagles fans have new hero in rookie Nic Naitanui, the second pick in last year's draft was the game-winner in only his second match. After a relatively first three quarters Naitanui turned the game on it's head with three last quarter goals to lift West Coast to only their fourth win of the season.

Conditions were appalling throughout much of the game with a howling gale and rain making it a difficult night for both sides. Hawthorn with the wind at their backs in the first quarter failed to make most of advantage and led by only 12 points at the first change.

Jarryd Roughead extended Hawthorn's lead to 18 points before West Coast turned the game on its head with the next five goals to 12 pints clear themselves. The Eagles kicked six goals for the term compared to the Hawks two and at the main change led by 14 points.

Hawthorn came out more committed in the third quarter and made better use of the conditions, the Hawks grabbing back the lead with the first four goals of the term. Josh Kennedy steadied the Eagles to cut the margin to three points with the margin remaining the same at three quarter time with both sides adding a goal each.

Hawthorn still lead by four point ten minutes into the final term until Naitanui sparked the Eagles into action. Naitanui kicked his first with a fine smother and then swooped on the crumbs in pocket and followed it up with his second shortly after. West Coast kicked the Hawks out of the contest with the next three goals to lead by as much as 26 points late in the game, Michael Osborne pegged one back for the Hawks with a late goal.

Brisbane Lions 16.15.111 defeated Melbourne Demons 8.8.56

Melbourne produced their third dismal performance in as many matches with the Demons making a unsuccessful trip to the Gabba with the bottom of the ladder Melbourne on the receiving end of a 55 point thrashing at the hands of Brisbane on Saturday night.

The final margin flattered the Demons who added some respectability to the scoreboard with six last quarter goals.

The Lions twin towers in the forward line was too much for the Demons defence to handle with the duo of Jonathon Brown and Daniel Bradshaw outscoring the Demons with Brown kicking five goals and Bradshaw four.

Leading by 14 points at quarter time, Brisbane streaked clear in the middle two quarters, the home side slamming home ten goals while keeping the Demons goalless, an unacceptable effort given that conditions were close to perfect for a game of Australian Rules.

Brisbane inflicted most of their damage in the second quarter with six goals to lead by 47 points at the main change and the Lions added a further four goals in the third quarter to push the margin out to 74 points at three quarter time.

Melbourne's goal drought ended four minutes into the final quarter when Cameron Bruce kicked his first goal and with the sting out of the game the Demons lifted to limit the damage at full time.

Geelong Cats 18.14.122 defeated Port Adelaide Power 13.10.88

Two brutal quarters of football was enough to hand Geelong a convincing 34 point win over Port Adelaide in their Sunday afternoon clash at Skilled Stadium in Geelong.

The Cats did most of their damage in the first and third quarters, the home side leading by as much as 63 points in the third term before the Power rallied in the final quarter to add some respectability to the scoreboard in the final quarter.

The Cats were in no mood for charity early with the home side wasting little time in putting the out of form Power to the sword. Geelong kicked seven goals to one in the opening term to all but end the game as a contest by quarter time with the home side leading by 40 points.

Port Adelaide lifted in the second quarter and breathed new life into the game with four of the first five goals of the quarter to cut the deficit 23 points midway through the quarter. Goals to Steve Johnson and Paul Chapman steadied the Cats who still led by 20 points at half time.

If Geelong were looking comfortable at half time they soon became certainties as the Cats went back into fifth gear, putting the result beyond doubt with the fits five goals of the third quarter and applying the brakes in the final term with Port Adelaide winning the final quarter six goals to two.

Western Bulldogs 17.6.108 defeated North Melbourne Kangaroos 12.14.86

The reign of new North Melbourne coach Darren Crocker has started on a losing note with the Kangaroos suffering a 22 point loss to the Western Bulldogs in Sunday's clash at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

After trailing for most of the game the Kangaroos hit the front in the third quarter but couldn't make the most of their advantage and were eventually ground by the Bulldogs who lacked their usual polish.

The goals flowed in an evenly fought first quarter with seven lead changes before the first change. North Melbourne led by three points late in the quarter but two goals in as many minutes to Lindsay Gilbee and Jason Akermanis gave the Bulldogs a nine point lead at quarter time.

The Bulldogs lead became 15 points after Scott Welsh kicked the first goal of the opening of the second quarter and for the most parts the Doggies managed to keep North Melbourne at arm length only for the Kangaroos to finish the half strongly with three of the last four goals before half time to trail by only two points.

The Bulldogs extended the margin to seven points after ten minutes in the third quarter but the Kangaroos hit the lead with back-to-back majors to Leigh Harding but just as North Melbourne were building momentum the Bulldogs responded with two goals of their own to Akermanis and Josh Hill to lead by seven points at the final change.

North Melbourne could not sustain their challenge in the final quarter, the Kangaroos only adding one more goal to their tally with the Bulldogs running away with the game with four of their own in the same period.

St. Kilda Saints 13.14.92 defeated Richmond Tigers 5.6.36

St. Kilda remain undefeated and on top of the ladder after overcoming a slow start to comfortably account for Richmond with a 56 point victory over Richmond at Etihad Stadium.

Saints forward Justin Koschitzke with five goals nearly outscored the Tigers on his own and the only concern St. Kilda have ahead of next week highly anticipated clash against Geelong is an ankle injury to veteran defender Max Hudghton.

Richmond made as positive start by keeping the Saints goalless in the opening quarter while scoring two of their own to Jack Riewoldt and Ben Cousins to take a shock 12 point lead to the first change. This though would prove to be the end of Richmond challenge as St. Kilda quickly returned to their relentless best. St. Kilda kicked their first in the fourth minute of the second term from Nick Dal Santo and this opened the floodgates for the Saints to added another four before half time while keeping Richmond scoreless.

Leading by 20 points at half time St. Kilda continued to bury the Tigers in the third quarter, again keeping the hapless Richmond scoreless while adding a further six goals themselves to extend the margin to 60 points at the final change.

Mitch Morton finally broke through for the Tigers with a goal in the fifth minute of the final term, breaking a 11.13 St. Kilda run between Richmond scores. It was all too little, too late though for the Tigers who could only limit the damage in the final quarter with Richmond outscoring the Saints three goals to two.
©2009 OhmyNews
Other articles by reporter Michael Clough

  Linked Story - AFL Review Round 12 - Part II...
  Linked Story - AFL Review Round 14...

Add to :  Add to Del.icio.usDel.icio.us |  Add to Digg this Digg  |  Add to reddit reddit |  Add to Y! MyWeb Y! MyWeb

Ronda Hauben
Netizens Question Cause of Cheonan Tragedy
Michael Werbowski
[Opinion] Democracy's Downfall
Michael Solis
Arizona's Immigration Bill and Korea
Yehonathan Tommer
Assassination in Dubai
[ESL/EFL Podcast] Saying No
Seventeenth in a series of English language lessons from Jennifer Lebedev...
  [ESL/EFL] Talking About Change
  [ESL/ EFL Podcast] Personal Finances
  [ESL/EFL] Buying and Selling
How worried are you about the H1N1 influenza virus?
  Very worried
  Somewhat worried
  Not yet
  Not at all
    * Vote to see the result.   
  copyright 1999 - 2018 ohmynews all rights reserved. internews@ohmynews.com Tel:+82-2-733-5505,5595(ext.125) Fax:+82-2-733-5011,5077