2018-12-12 05:46 KST  
Global Voices Online - The world is talking. Are you listening?
AFL Review Round 15
Dockers deliver a one goal shocker against Adelaide
Michael Clough (clough)     Print Article 
Published 2009-07-14 16:19 (KST)   
Collingwood was the big winner of Round 15 of the Australian Football League with the Magpies winning a thriller over the third place Western Bulldogs. On the other side of the coin, Fremantle was the big loser after only managing one goal against the Crows in Adelaide.

Collingwood Magpies 17.9.111 defeated Western Bulldogs 16.14.110

OMNI's New Approach to Citizen Journalism
[Opinion] Democracy's Downfall
Technology Can Save Money, Planet
[Opinion] Iran Defends Peaceful 'Right'
Couchsurfing in Gaza
Brazil Crushes Argentina, Prepares For Chile
Brazil Wins 100th Formula 1 Victory
AFL Review Round 17
AFL Review Round 16
Tokyo' Bid for the 2016 Summer Games
Collingwood has claimed its biggest scalp of the season after surviving a late Bulldogs surge to record a thrilling one point lead in Friday night's clash at Etihad Stadium in Melbourne.

The Magpies looked headed for a comfortable victory after leading by 34 points at three quarter time but the Bulldogs came home with a wet sail to kick six goals to one in the final term to nearly pull off an unlikely win.

The win, Collingwood's seventh in succession was made all the more impressive by the fact that their two main forward marking targets, John Anthony and Travis Cloke both failed to kick a goal.

Collingwood made an outstanding start to the game, kicking seven of the first eight goals of the game to quickly race to a 33 point lead. Desperate to limit the damage the Bulldogs managed to land a few late punches with goals to Shaun Higgins and Adam Cooney to narrow the gap to 22 points at quarter time.

The Bulldogs continued to build momentum with goals to Lindsay Gilbee and Jason Akermanis to start the second term but the Magpies were in an uncompromising mood and restored their control on the contest and kicked four goals to one for the rest of term to lead by 29 points at half time.

The Bulldogs struggled to make any major impression in the third quarter with the Bulldogs only kicking four goals while conceding five to the Magpies.

The Bulldogs made a strong start to the final term, goals to Higgins and Mitch Hahn gave them a sniff of victory. Further goals to rookie Liam Picken, Gilbee and Hahn cut the deficit to a point and the game was now anybody's.

Collingwood's only goal for term came in the 28th minute when Dale Thomas kicked truly from a mark to give his side a seven point buffer. Ryan Griffin made it a one point game shortly after but it would prove to be too little, too late as the Magpies hung on for a memorable victory.

Carlton Blues 1613.109 defeated Richmond Tigers 12.17.89

Carlton cemented their spot in the AFL's top eight after posting a comfortable 20 point win over Richmond at the Melbourne Cricket Ground on Saturday afternoon.

Brendan Fevola was the undoubted star of the contest with the enigmatic Blue's forward at his dominating best, kicking a career high nine goals, all of which came after quarter time. Captain Chris Judd and Andrew Carrazzo also key players for the Blues with 29 possessions each.

Richmond held a one point lead at quarter time as two sides exchanged goals throughout the quarter. Carlton made their first break of the game in the middle stages of the second quarter with a three goal run to move 20 points clear. Richmond hit back with two of their own in as many minutes to Robin Nahas but Fevola matched Nahas' effort with two late goals just before half time to give the Blues back their 20 point buffer at the main change.

A wasteful Richmond was their own worst in the third term, a quarter where Carlton kicked clear of the Tigers. Richmond kicked an inaccurate 1.8 for the quarter while the Blues managed four goals themselves, three from Fevola to hold a match-winning 31 point lead at the final change.

To Richmond's credit they fought the game out, after Carlton stretched their lead out to 39 points. The Tigers cut the gap down to as low as 14 points late in the game before Fevola with his ninth goal put the icing on the cake.

Essendon Bombers 15.17.107 defeated Sydney Swans 10.12.72

Essendon, like Carlton shored up their spot in the top eight while putting a dent in Sydney's final aspirations after the Bombers made a successful journey to the Sydney Cricket Ground with the Bombers outclassing the Swans to record a 35 point victory.

In their first game since the sudden retirement of firebrand forward Barry Hall earlier in the week, Sydney lacked Essendon's class and polish with the visitors grounding out an important win in the context of their season.

Essendon held a four point lead after a closely fought opening term but the Bombers started to kick clear in the second quarter. With the Swans not making the most of their chances, the visiting team kicked the first four goals of the second term to move 25 points clear. A late goal to Ryan O'Keefe helped the Swans cut the margin to 18 points at half-time.

Patrick Veszpremi brought Sydney within 14 points with the goal after 11 minutes of the third quarter but that would be as close as Sydney got as the Bombers added another four goals in the third quarter. The 31 point difference at three quarter time would prove too much with the Swans making no inroads in the final quarter.

Brisbane Lions 16.12.108 defeated Geelong Cats 9.11.65

An undermanned and weakened Geelong crashed to their second consecutive loss with Brisbane happily kicking the Cats while down to record an impressive 43 point win at the Gabba on Saturday night.

Missing a host of their front-line players, Geelong never looked back in the hunt after quarter time as the Lions midfield class and forward marking strength proved too great.

Victory did come at a cost though for the Lions with gun midfielder Jed Adcock suffering a season ending knee injury in the first quarter.

Geelong made a strong start to the game, kicking three of the first four goals of the game to take an early 12 point lead. Brisbane grabbed the lead and the momentum heading into the second with late goals to Daniel Bradshaw and Jonathon Brown to hold a two point advantage at the first change.

Brisbane put the visitors to the sword in the second quarter, the Lions making the most of some very uncharacteristic Geelong skill errors by kicking five of the first six goals of the quarter to move 28 points clear. Geelong hit back with goals to Shannon Byrnes and Max Rooke but not to be outdone the home responded with two of their own through James Polkinghorne and Bradshaw to lead by 26 points at the main change.

The second half was dominated by the Lions with the shell-shocked Cats, not used to being on the wrong of such a scoreline quickly losing confidence. Brisbane led by 31 points at the final change and continued to kick away in the final quarter, leading by as much as 50 points late in the game.

Adelaide Crows 19.16.130 defeated Fremantle Dockers 1.7.13

A pathetic Fremantle sunk to an all-time low, with the Dockers putting up one of the most farcical and inept displays the competition has seen for years after managing to kick only one goal in an humiliating 117 point loss to Adelaide at AAMI Stadium on Saturday night.

Fremantle's total of 1.7.13 was the lowest in VFL/AFL competition since 1961, back in the days where league grounds were prone to turn into mud heaps in the rain. Freemantle's half time score of one behind was one of the lowest seen in the past 50 years.

As shameful as the Dockers were, credit must also be given to the Crows who were superb in notching up their seventh straight win. In all, the Crows had five individual players who either equaled or surpassed Fremantle's team total.

Adelaide put the visitors under the pump early with a five goal opening quarter and continued to rub salt into the Dockers wounds with another five to the second quarter to lead 69-1 at the main change.

Fremantle finally broke through for their first and only goal of the game in the 12th minute of the third term, through Ryan Murphy. That would only be a momentary bump in the road for the Crows who continued their assault in the final term after a quiet third term, the home side adding another seven goals to nil in the final quarter.

Hawthorn Hawks 10.13.73 defeated North Melbourne Kangaroos 9.10.64

Hawthorn kept their faint finals hopes alive after running over the top of North Melbourne in Sunday afternoon's match at Aurora Stadium in Launceston, Tasmania.

Lance Franklin was the hero for the Hawk's. Last year's Coleman Medalist as leading goalscorer, kicked four final term majors after Hawthorn had gone into the final quarter 14 points down at the final change.

Conditions were appalling for most of the first half with heavy rain, hail and a lightning storm making conditions difficult for the players. Leigh Adams gave North Melbourne the first goal of the game before the rain started to fall. Hawthorn themselves could only manage the single goal in the first term through Liam Shiels.

Early goals to Lindsay Thomas and Brent Harvey gave the Kangaroos a break in the second quarter and an 11 point lead. Jarryd Roughead would quick reply for Hawthorn but a late goal to Liam Anthony gave North Melbourne a nine point lead at the main change. The third term was an arm wrestle with both sides going goal-for-goal.

Lance Franklin gave Hawthorn the perfect start to the final quarter to cut their deficit to eight points before David Hale gave the Kangaroos back their 14 point lead. This though would be the final shot fired by North as Franklin grabbed the game by the throat as he kicked a further three goals to lead his side to victory.

Melbourne Demons 15.11.101 defeated Port Adelaide Power 13.12.90

Melbourne won their second game on the trot and climbed off the bottom of the AFL ladder after defeating Port Adelaide by 11 points at the Melbourne Cricket Ground on Sunday afternoon.

It was a hugely disappointing result for Port Adelaide who is still pushing for a spot in the finals but after a performance where they showed a total lack of commitment the Power now sit a game outside of the top eight.

Melbourne led at every change and thoroughly deserved their win. The Demons made a positive start with the opening two goals of the game from Matthew Bate and Liam Jurrah but the Power responded with two of their own. Another two goals from rookie excitement machine Jurrah gave the Demons back the advantage which helped the home side take a five point lead at the first change.

Melbourne kicked clear in the second quarter with three of the first four goals of the term and take an 18 point lead.

The difference was 12 points in Melbourne's favour at half time but the Demons were not willing to rest on their laurels and kicked the opening three goals of the third quarter and the home side's lead sat at 32 points.

From there, the game was always going to be the Demons with the Power forced to play catch up football. Port Adelaide did give the Demons a scare in the final quarter when they kicked three of the first four goals of the term but a Ricky Petterd goal in the 19th minute put the result beyond doubt.

St. Kilda Saints 13.12.90 defeated West Coast Eagles 11.4.70

St. Kilda remain undefeated and two games clear atop of the AFL ladder after their hard fought 20 points over West Coast in the final game of the weekend at Perth's Subiaco.

Trailing at the final change, the Saints lifted to top gear in the final quarter after being well below their best before that, kicking five goals for the term to lay rest to a gallant display from the Eagles.

Little separated the two sides in the first term with the two combatants exchanging goals. St. Kilda made the perfect start with Michael Gardiner getting a quick clearance from the opening bounce and Nick Riewoldt kicking the first goal with less than 20 seconds on the clock.

The Saints held a nine point lead at the first change which quickly became 17 points when Farren Ray kicked the first goal of the second in the 11th minute. Two goals from Josh Kennedy helped the home side cut the gap to three points but a late goal to Nick Dal Santo gave the Saints the edge at half time with a 10 point lead.

Early goals to Mark LeCras and Andrew Embley gave West Coast the lead before the Saints again grabbed control with two of their own to Stephen Milne and Andrew McQualter. Enjoying their most productive period of the game, the Eagles signaled that an upset might be on the cards with a three goal burst. A second goal to Milne late in the term saw scores level pegging at the final change.

Facing their first loss for the year, St. Kilda got their backsides into gear and with the opening five goals of the final term, they soon put the game out of the Eagles' reach. Robert Eddy got the Saints started with his first goal within 50 seconds of the restart and the visitors played all over the Eagles for the next 15 minutes. Two late goals to Ashley Hansen and Adam Cockie only managed to add some respectability to the scoreboard for the Eagles.

©2009 OhmyNews
Other articles by reporter Michael Clough

  Linked Story - AFL Review Round 14...
  Linked Story - AFL Review Round 16...

Add to :  Add to Del.icio.usDel.icio.us |  Add to Digg this Digg  |  Add to reddit reddit |  Add to Y! MyWeb Y! MyWeb

Ronda Hauben
Netizens Question Cause of Cheonan Tragedy
Michael Werbowski
[Opinion] Democracy's Downfall
Michael Solis
Arizona's Immigration Bill and Korea
Yehonathan Tommer
Assassination in Dubai
[ESL/EFL Podcast] Saying No
Seventeenth in a series of English language lessons from Jennifer Lebedev...
  [ESL/EFL] Talking About Change
  [ESL/ EFL Podcast] Personal Finances
  [ESL/EFL] Buying and Selling
How worried are you about the H1N1 influenza virus?
  Very worried
  Somewhat worried
  Not yet
  Not at all
    * Vote to see the result.   
  copyright 1999 - 2018 ohmynews all rights reserved. internews@ohmynews.com Tel:+82-2-733-5505,5595(ext.125) Fax:+82-2-733-5011,5077