2018-10-17 20:32 KST  
Global Voices Online - The world is talking. Are you listening?
AFL Review Round 6
Fevola miss cost Carlton victory over Hawthorn in a thriller
Michael Clough (clough)     Print Article 
Published 2009-05-05 10:04 (KST)   
Geelong and St. Kilda still remain the only undefeated teams in the Australian Football League at the completion of Round 6 and it appears that reigning premier Hawthorn's campaign has finally hit its straps after their narrow win over Carlton in one of the games of the year to date.

Collingwood Magpies 19.13.127 defeated North Melbourne Kangaroos 11.9.75

OMNI's New Approach to Citizen Journalism
[Opinion] Democracy's Downfall
Technology Can Save Money, Planet
[Opinion] Iran Defends Peaceful 'Right'
Couchsurfing in Gaza
Brazil Crushes Argentina, Prepares For Chile
Brazil Wins 100th Formula 1 Victory
AFL Review Round 17
AFL Review Round 16
Tokyo' Bid for the 2016 Summer Games
Collingwood put their name back on the the winners list after opening Round 6 with a 52 point win over North Melbourne at Etihad Stadium on Friday night.

Bar a 10 minute period in the first quarter, the Magpies dominated the game in general play and after quarter time made it count on the scoreboard with Collingwood kicking 15 goals to seven in the final three quarters.

Collingwood made a brilliant start to the game, kicking the first three goals of the contest and things were looking ugly early for the Kangaroos. North Melbourne hit back in the middle stages of the opening term and grabbed the lead with the next four goals of the game. A late goal to John Anthony gave the Magpies a five point lead at quarter time.

Collingwood quickly turned that five point lead into a 30 point lead with a match defining four goal burst in eight minutes to start the second quarter. North Melbourne managed to peg the margin back to 17 points but another late flurry of goals in the dying stages of the second quarter to lead by 36 points at half time.

Goals would be hard to come by for North Melbourne in the second half, the Kangas could only manage one in the third quarter and three in the final term as the Magpies comfortably ran away with the contest.

Hawthorn Hawks 16.10.106 defeated Carlton Blues 15.12.102

Hawthorn have got their campaign back on track but only by the barest of margins after the reigning premier downed Carlton in a thriller at the Melbourne Cricket Ground on Saturday.

The Hawks appeared to have shaken off a persistent Carlton midway through the final term after taking a 25 point lead but the Blues finished with a wet sail and fell agonising short of a remarkable victory, a victory Brendan Fevola could've given the Blues had his shot at goal from 20-metres from goal not hit the post.

Fevola's last gasp miss was the headline grabber but Fevola's battle with his Hawthorn counterpart Jarryd Roughead provided the games main highlight. The opposing full forwards both kicked eight goals, a competition high so far this season with Roughead the clear difference between the two sides with six goals to his name by half time.

Carlton took an early lead at the start of the game with three of the opening four goals of the contest but inspired by Roughead the Hawks finished the opening open with four goals to lead 10 points at quarter time.

With the match played at finals like intensity little separated the two sides in the second quarter with Hawthorn's lead sitting on nine points at half time and only a solitary point at the final change.

Hawthorn kicked clear early in the final quarter with goals to Roughead and Lance Franklin before Carlton pegged one back when Eddie Betts found Fevola in open space in front of goal. The Hawks looked to have the game sealed after they kicked three in a row to lead by 25 points. Carlton though would not surrender and kicked the last three goals of the game but could not find the elusive fourth to win the game.

Fremantle Dockers 13.9.87 defeated West Coast Eagles 9.20.74

Fremantle have recorded their second win on the trot after posting a 13 point win of their fellow Western Australian rivals West Coast at Subiaco Oval in Perth.

Fremantle's Paul Haselby won the Ross Glendinning Medal for the best player, the veteren Dockers collecting 14 kicks and 21 handballs.

West Coast will be left ruing their inaccuracy at goal, especially in the final quarter when the Dockers ran away with the game, the Eagles kicking a below par 1.7 for the quarter with only two of those seven behinds rushed over the line by their opponents.

Both sides went goal-for-goal in the opening exchanges of the first quarter but by the first change the Eagles had the edge with a 10 point lead. The Eagles could not convert their dominance on the field onto the scoreboard with a wasteful West Coast only kicking two goals from nine scoring shots. While they could've had a firm grip on victory West Coast still led the Dockers by 23-points at half time.

The Eagles wastefulness opened the door for the Dockers who gladly made the most of their chances in the second half. Led by Haselby and Byron Schammer in the midfield Fremantle kicked four goals to two in the third quarter to draw within six points with a quarter to play. Shannon Hurn gave the Eagles a 13 point lead early in the final quarter but that would be it for West Coast as the Dockers finished off the game strongly kicking the last five goals of the game.

Brisbane Lions 17.9.111 defeated Essendon Bombers 9.14.68

Brisbane put last week's embarrassing loss to Geelong behind them with the Lions dominating a lacklustre Essendon in their 43 point win in Saturday night's game at the Gabba.

The Lions twin towers did the job for the home side with Jonathon Brown kicking five goals and Daniel Bradshaw kicking four.

It was a disappointing display on a night of milestones for the Bombers. Champion defender Dustin Fletcher, the sole remaining member of the Bombers 1993 premiership triumph played his 300th AFL game but failed to see the game out after sustaining a hairline fracture to the fibula that will see Fletcher out of action for at least three weeks. At the other end of the ground Matthew Lloyd kicked his 900th goal.

The Lions stamped their authority on the contest early with the home side kicking the first two goals of the game. It took the Bombers 20-minutes to register their first goal through Heath Hocking but that would be Essendon's only goal for the first term, a late burst of goals giving the Lions a 23 point lead at the first change.

Essendon stormed back into contention with two quick goals to Jason Winderlich but after sustaining the Bombers pressure in the opening 15-minutes of the second quarter Brisbane again kicked clear with the final four goals of the first half to hold a 36 point lead at the half.

With the damage done the Lions took their foot off the pedal slightly in the second half with both sides kicking four goals in the third quarter and Brisbane kept the Bombers at arm's length throughout the final term with five goals to four.

Port Adelaide 15.15.105 defeated Adelaide Crows 12.7.79

Port Adelaide have been inconsistent so far this year but the Power were on their switched on best on Saturday night to despatch of cross-town rival Adelaide by 26 points at AAMI Stadium.

In "Showdown XXVI" between the two clubs it was Port ruckman Dean Brogan who was awarded the Showdown Medal for best afield.

Port Adelaide endeavour and pressure on their opponents was outstanding all night and after overcoming the Crows strong start controlled the contest to record an impressive victory.

The Crows grabbed an early lead with the first two goals of the game to Jason Porplyzia and Scott Stevens with six minutes of the commencement of play but slowly the Power started to get the better of general play and thanks to three unanswered goals before quarter time lead by 10 points at the first change.

Daniel Motlop extended Port Adelaide's lead to 16 points in the opening minute of the second quarter but the Crows cut the deficit to four points after back-to-back goals to Bernie Vince. This would be as close as the Crows would get for the rest of the game as the Power piled on three goals before half time to Warren Tredrea, Danyle Pearce and Robbie Gray to lead by 22 points at the main change.

Port Adelaide struggled to shake off a persistent Crows in the second half. Both sides added three goals to their tally in the third term and any hopes the Crows had of reviving their chances in the final term were quickly dashed with the Power kicking the first three goals of the quarter to Brendan Lade, Motlop and Gray.

Sydney Swans 14.10.94 defeated Richmond Tigers 11.975

Sydney were given a scare but walked away with the premiership points, the Swans maintaining their perfect record at home in 2009 with a hard fought 19 point win over Richmond in Sunday's clash at the Sydney Cricket Ground.

The Swans made a bright opening with the first two goals of the game to Rhyce Shaw and Jarred Moore. Richmond then steadied with two of their own but Sydney would finish the opening quarter on a high note with three goals to round out the quarter to hold a 23 point lead at the first change.

Sydney led by 27 points at half time but Richmond began to claw their way back in the third quarter, the visitors outscoring the Swans four goals to two and by three quarter time the Tigers were very much in the game with the deficit cut to 15 points with a quarter to play.

Mark Coughlin scored the all-important first goal of the final term for the Tigers and thanks to a series of behinds by the 10-minute mark Richmond had closed the gap to six points. Quick goals to Moore and Brett Meredith gave the Swans some breathing room and from there they were able to keep the Tigers at arm's length until the final siren.

Geelong Cats 15.21.111 defeated Melbourne Demons 10.8.68

Geelong remain undefeated after six rounds after having few troubles recording a comfortable 43 point win over lowly Melbourne at the MCG.

The biggest concern to come out of the game for the Cats was an injury to the red-hot Gary Ablett Jr., the early favourite for the Brownlow Medal (league MVP) looks set to miss three weeks with a groin injury following scans on Monday.

Ablett got the Cats off to a quick start with the opening goal 13 seconds after the siren. Ablett swooped on the crumbs from the centre bounce, streamed through the middle and kicked truly from 50-metres to give the Cats their first of three opening quarter goals. The Demons had been well to be within five points at quarter time but Geelong kicked clear in the second quarter. The Cats kicked six goals to one in the opening 25 minutes of the second term including three to Steve Johnson as Geelong moved 37 points clear. A late goal to the Demons Paul Johnson managed to limit the damage to 32 points at the main change.

Geelong could've kicked further ahead in the third term had it not been for some poor kicking at goal, the Cats wasting early chances as they kicked 3.9 for the quarter. To Melbourne's credit they fought out the game in the final quarter, the Demons outscoring the premiership favourites four goals to three after the final change.

St. Kilda Saints 14.20.104 defeated Western Bulldogs 11.10.76

Like Geelong, St. Kilda's unbeaten run in 2009 continued with the Saints remaining on top of the AFL ladder proving to be a class above the Western Bulldogs to record a comfortable 28 point win in the final game of the weekend at Etihad Stadium.

The loss is the Bulldogs third in a row.

Inaccuracy at goal seemed to be theme of the weekend and it was no different for the Saints in the opening quarter who kicked 3.7 before quarter time but was still enough to see them lead by 15 points at the first change.

The Bulldogs cut the gap to four points with goals to Jason Akermanis and Josh Hill. The Bulldogs managed to hang on for most of the second term but St. Kilda started to edge clear again shortly before half time with the last three goals including two to Nick Riewoldt before half time to give the Saints a 27-point lead.

The goals flowed freely just after the main break with both sides kicking two goals in the opening five minutes of the third quarter. The Saints defensive pressure was proving too much for the Bulldogs who could not make any significant inroads into their deficit and by three quarter time the game was safely in the Saints safe keeping as they lead by 40 points.

St. Kilda led by as much as 46 points in the final quarter before the Bulldogs added some late respectability to the scoreboard with the last three goals of the game.

©2009 OhmyNews
Other articles by reporter Michael Clough

  Linked Story - AFL Review Round 5...
  Linked Story - AFL Review Round 7...

Add to :  Add to Del.icio.usDel.icio.us |  Add to Digg this Digg  |  Add to reddit reddit |  Add to Y! MyWeb Y! MyWeb

Ronda Hauben
Netizens Question Cause of Cheonan Tragedy
Michael Werbowski
[Opinion] Democracy's Downfall
Michael Solis
Arizona's Immigration Bill and Korea
Yehonathan Tommer
Assassination in Dubai
[ESL/EFL Podcast] Saying No
Seventeenth in a series of English language lessons from Jennifer Lebedev...
  [ESL/EFL] Talking About Change
  [ESL/ EFL Podcast] Personal Finances
  [ESL/EFL] Buying and Selling
How worried are you about the H1N1 influenza virus?
  Very worried
  Somewhat worried
  Not yet
  Not at all
    * Vote to see the result.   
  copyright 1999 - 2018 ohmynews all rights reserved. internews@ohmynews.com Tel:+82-2-733-5505,5595(ext.125) Fax:+82-2-733-5011,5077